This year’s Garden Town, 27 October – 5 November 2023, promises to be a celebration of ‘Common Ground’, uniting people from all walks of life. Make the most of the festival by visiting open and private gardens, and experience adventure and workshops, talks, tours and events.
Over the course of 10 days, the festival will offer a diverse array of activities and events to celebrate the joys of gardening, art, food and the great outdoors. It will showcase the best the region has to offer – from culinary delights to fine wines and the universal allure of gardens, both grand and intimate.
Art enthusiasts can look forward to exhibitions at the Town Hall by The Voice Collective and the PJ Olivier Art Centre from 1 to 5 November. In a unique collaboration, learners from the PJ Olivier Art Centre and the Marie Stander School of Art will adorn municipal benches in the town centre with floral displays.
For those seeking to nurture their creative spirit, a range of workshops awaits. Explore the world of painting with water-soluble graphite under the guidance of Marianne Burger, try your hand at gelli plate monoprinting with Hermien van der Merwe, or delve into the mesmerising art of working with beeswax with Urna van Heyningen. The Pniël Museum will host a chrysanthemum workshop where participants can craft floral arrangements with these vibrant blooms.
For nature lovers, there will be guided walks and hikes through picturesque landscapes – Glenelly, Hazendal, Mooiplaas and Devon Valley, among others. Don’t miss the enchanting Nature and Wine Walk led by plant expert Cobus Smit.
Cycling fans will have their share of excitement with the Ride for Renosterveld at Jordan.
The festival will also tantalise taste buds with lunches, teas and food experiences. Join Lanzerac for a delightful Botanical Sunday Lunch or indulge in a delectable Fungi and Food Experience at Spier.
Babylonstoren, renowned for its horticultural excellence, will open its doors for guided tours. Stroll through the enchanting Babylonstoren Kitchen Garden, embark on an educational adventure with the Babylonstoren Bee Walk, or discover the age-old craft of distilling essential oils from the garden at Babylonstoren’s Farm to Fragrance Workshop.
Garden Town Stellenbosch 2023 will see various private and home gardens opening their gates. Come explore and take inspiration from the green sanctuaries lovingly tended by their owners.
Celebrate togetherness in style at the Fabulous Flower Parade on 1 November, followed by the Garden Soirée where you can sip and savour the best local wines.
So mark your calendars and prepare for an unforgettable floral experience that celebrates the universal language of gardens and the spirit of community.
Good to know: Want to stay over? See our list of top spots to spend a few nights.
Festival map and programme
Click here to download the extensive programme and map for Garden Town Stellenbosch 2023.
- Aspidistra at Bonne Esperance Guest House 17 Van Riebeeck St, 27 Oct–5 Nov, 10:00–17:00, Free. Tea and scones on the Victorian Verandah, R80pp
- Babylonstoren Klapmuts/Simondium Rd, 27 Oct–5 Nov, 09:00–17:00, R100pp, under-18’s free (admission valid for 12 months)
- DeMorgenzon Stellenbosch Kloof Rd, 27 Oct- 5 Nov, 10:00-17:00, Free
- Dylan Lewis Sculpture Garden Paradyskloof Rd, 27-28 Oct & 31 Oct-5 Nov, 09:00–17:00, from R220pp adults, R150pp SA pensioners and students, under-18’s free (by appointment only)
- Hawksmoor House Matjieskuil Farm, R304, 27 Oct–5 Nov, 11:00–17:00, Free
- Old Nectar Farm Jonkershoek Valley, 27 Oct–5 Nov, 08:00–17:00, R50pp
- Rustenberg Manor House Open Garden Rustenberg Wine Farm, Rustenburg Rd,
Off Lelie St, Ida’s Valley, 3-5 Nov, 9:30-16:30, R50pp
- Schoongezicht Manor House Garden Rustenberg Wine Farm, Rustenburg Rd,
Off Lelie St, Ida’s Valley, 3-5 Nov, 9:30-16:30, Free
- Stellenbosch University Botanical Garden Neethling & Van Riebeeck St, 27 Oct-5 Nov, 08:00–17:00, R15pp, R10pp for senior citizens
- Tokara Wine Estate and Adamastor Moss Garden Helshoogte Pass, 27 – 28 Oct &
3 – 4 Nov, 09:00 – 16:00, R50 per car
- Voorgelegen Garden Checkers parking area thoroughfare in Blom St, 27 Oct-5 Nov, 08:00-14:00, Free
Private & Home Gardens
R200 weekend passes for either 27 & 28 October or 3 & 4 November. Weekend passes offer unlimited entries to Private/Home Gardens. Weekend passes valid for one weekend only. Ticket sales through Plankton, or by card or Snapscan at the listed gardens.
- 3 Rowan St Mostertsdrift, 28 Oct & 4 Nov, 10:00–17:00
- 44 Rooi St Kylemore, 27-28 Oct & 3-4 Nov, 10:00–17:00, 29 Oct & 4 Nov, 09:00-14:00
- 12 Middel St Pniel, 27-28 Oct & 3-4 Nov, 10:00–17:00
- Boswater, 5 Rowan St, Mostertsdrift, 28 Oct & 4 Nov, 10:00–17:00
- De Goede Hoop Opposite Boschendal, Groot Drakenstein, 27 Oct & 4 Nov, 11:00–17:00
- De Zeven Guest Lodge Zevenrivieren Rd, Banhoek, 27-28 Oct, 11:00–14:00
- Gouws Sculpture Garden 1 Bergbosch St, De Bosch Estate, Saffraan St, Die Boord, 27-28 Oct, 10:00–16:00
- Green Door 67 Webersvallei Rd, Jamestown, 27-28 Oct & 3-4 Nov, 10:00–15:00
- Lindella Farm, Bonniemile Rd, Vlottenburg, 27-28 Oct, 10:00 – 17:00
- Lingen Jonkershoek Valley, 27-28 Oct & 3-4 Nov, 10:00–17:00
- Mountain View Gardens 6 & 8 Helderberg, 2 & 30 Coetzenberg, 16 & 31 Overberg, 1, 6, 10 & 20 Rooiberg Sts, Jamestown, 27-28 Oct & 3-4 Nov, 10:00-17:00
- Shoots and Sprouts R44 Next to Cattle Baron, 27 Oct & 4 Nov, 10:00–15:00
- The Herb House 2 Kleinvallei St, Onderpapegaaiberg, 3-4 Nov, 10:00–17:00
- Utopia Retirement Facility 171 Pastorie St,27-28 Oct & 3-4 Nov, 10:00–16:00, Tea and scones, R30pp
- Zeven Rivieren Homestead Zevenrivieren Rd, Banhoek, 27-28 Oct & 3-4 Nov, 10:00–17:00
- Devon Valley Vineyard Walk (level 2/5), Devon Valley Hotel, Devon Valley Rd, Devon Valley, 29 Oct, 08:00-11:30, R250pp
- E-bike Boschendal Ride Adventure Shop, 1 Noordwal-Wes St, 27 Oct-5 Nov, 09:00-13:30, R756-R840pp
- Guided Bike Tour Adventure Shop, 1 Noordwal-Wes St, 27 Oct-5 Nov, 09:00-14:00, R958.50-R1065pp
- Mooiplaas Renosterveld Hike (level 5/5) Mooiplaas Wine Estate, Bottelary Rd, 4 Nov, 08:00-11:00, R200pp
- Nature and Wine Walk, with plant expert Cobus Smit (level 3/5) Old Betlehem Farm, Banhoek Conservancy, 1 Rooi St, Kylemore, 29 Oct & 4 Nov, 09:00 – 14:00, R570pp
- TrailFun Spring Series 3 of 4 Simonsig Wine Estate, Kromme Rhee Rd, 4 Nov, 07:00-10:00, R70-R210pp
- Vine Hopper Wine Tour Adventure Shop, 1 Noordwal-Wes St, 27 Oct-5 Nov, 08:45-17:00, R351-R390pp
- Wrap-up Ride for Renosterveld Jordan Wine 28 E-bike Boschendal Ride Adventure Shop, Estate, Stellenbosch Kloof Rd, 5 Nov, 07:00-13:00, R250pp for 25km or 12km ride
Workshops, Talks, Tours & Events
- 4 Patrysvlei Farm Ext of van Rheede St and Libertas farm
WS Drawing with Water Soluble Graphite, by Marianne Burger, 3 Nov, 09:30-12:30, R700pp
- Aardt Studio Le Verger farm, Devon Valley Rd
WS Photographic Storytelling, with Coenraad H. Torlage, 27 Oct, 14:30-18:00 & 29 Oct, 09:30-13:00, R350pp
- Babylonstoren Klapmuts/Simondium Rd
GT Bee Walk for Kids and Adults, by Arné Stander, 3 Nov, 15:00-16:00, R100pp
GT Farm to Fragrance: Distilling essential oils from the garden, presented by Liesl van der Walt & Magdel Kinghorn, 27 Oct, 11:30–13:00, R100pp
WS ‘Gather and Weave’, by Constance Stuurman, 30 Oct, 11:30-13:00, R100pp
GT Kitchen Garden Walk, by Darryl Combrink and Marina de Villiers, 31 Oct, 11:30–13:00, R100pp
GT Specials Collection Tour, by Ernst van Jaarsveld, 1 Nov, 11:30–13:00, R100pp
GT Trees with Stories, by Anton Roux and Liezl van der Walt, 2 Nov, 11:30-13:00, R100pp
- Camido, Johnman Music Centre and Garden 8 Herte St
GT Johnman Tea & Scones, with a Guided Walk, 2 Nov, 10:00-12:00, R100pp
- Delaire Graff Estate Helshoogte Rd
GT Delaire Graff Estate Garden Tour, 27-28 Oct & 3 Nov, 10:00-12:00, R350pp
- Die Braak Bounded by Blom and Mill St
E The Flower Parade, 31 Oct, 18:15-19:00, Free
- Dylan Lewis Sculpture Garden Paradyskloof Rd
WS Drawing from Nature Workshop, by Diane Harper using Natural Materials, 27 Oct, 09:30-12:30, R890pp
GT Guided Tour of Dylan Lewis Sculpture Garden, by Diane Harper, 28 Oct & 3 Nov, 10:00-11:30, R330pp
T The Dylan Lewis Sculpture Garden, a talk on its early design, by Franchesca Watson, 4 Nov, 14:00-15:30, R330pp
WS Sketching Tour of the Dylan Lewis Sculpture Garden, by Diane Harper, 4 Nov, 09:30-12:30, R1030pp
T Finding the Tree in the Bonsai, by Willem Pretorius, 28 Oct, 14:00-16:00, R330pp
- Glenelly Wine Estate Lelie St, Ida’s Valley
WS Bloeme Flower Crown Workshop, by Anja Hauptfleisch, 4 Nov, 10:00-13:00, R350pp
GT Sunset Farm Walk (incl dinner), 27 Oct, 17:00-21:00, R460pp
- Hazendal Wine Estate Bottelary Rd (New entrance from Ronelle Street via Kruis Street)
GT Hazendal Garden Walk, 31 October, 10:00-11:00, R200pp
- Lanzerac Lanzerac Rd
E Botanical Inspired Sunday Lunch, 29 Oct & 5 Nov, 12:00-15:00, R420pp
E Lanzerac Floral Afternoon Tea at the Manor Kitchen, 28 Oct & 4 Nov, 14:00-17:00, R320pp
- WS Lanzerac Grow Your Own Microgreens, by Philip le Roux (incl lunch), 31 October, 09:00-14:00, R1200pp
- Love to Give Centre 6 School Cres, Kayamandi GT Love to Give Vegetable Garden Visit, 1-3 Nov, 12:00-14:00, Free
- Shoots and Spouts R44, next to Cattle Baron
T Recycling and Composting all your food waste with Bokashi, 27 Oct & 4 Nov, 11:30-12:30, R75pp
- Spier Wine Farm Baden Powell Dr
WS Spier Fabulous Fungi and Food Experience, by Megan McCarthy (incl lunch), 4 Nov, 10:00-13:30, R700pp
GT Spier Food Garden Guided Tour, 27-29 Oct, 13:00- 15:00, Free
- Stellenbosch Central Exhibition Areas
Bird St (between two circles) and in front of municipal
offices in Ryneveld St
EXH Benches in Bloom – PJ Olivier Art Centre
Stellenbosch Town Hall and Meulplein (near Die Braak) EXH Benches in Bloom – Marie Stander School of Art
Traffic circle, cnr Plein & Bird St
EXH “upEND” – activation by Hanlé Hill
- Stellenbosch Town Hall Plein St
EXH Bursting into Flower – PJ Olivier Art Centre, 1-3 Nov, 10:00-17:00 & 4-5 Nov, 10:00-14:00
EXH Inner Eden – The Voice Collective, 1-3 Nov, 10:00- 17:00 & 4-5 Nov, 10:00-14:00
EXH Viva Magenta Floral Art Show by the Western Cape Association of Flower Arrangers (WCAFA), 1-3 Nov, 10:00-17:00 & 4-5 Nov, 10:00-14:00
WS Art with Beeswax Workshop, by Urna van Heyningen, 1 Nov, 14:00-17:00 & 2 Nov, 10:00-13:00, R750pp
WS Gelli Plate Monoprinting Workshop, by Hermien van der Merwe, 4 Nov, 10:00–13:00, R900pp
WS Glass Art Tree Mosaic, by Heidi Ansley, 1 & 4 Nov, 10:00-13:00, R600pp
E Rosé Soiree, 4 Nov, 17:00-19:00, R190pp
T Poetry and Calligraphy Book Launch, by Anton Coetzer, 3 Nov, 10:30-12:30, R50pp
GT Historical Town and Garden Walk 27 Oct-5 Nov 09:00-10:30 & 15:00-16:30, R295pp
E STS Family Floral Night Run, 1 Nov, 18:30 for 19:00, R75pp
- Stellenbosch University Botanical Garden Neethling St
WS Bloeme Flower Crown Workshop, by Anja Hauptfleisch, 28 Oct, 10:00-13:00, R350pp
GT Stellenbosch University Botanical Garden Guided Tour, 27 Oct, 10:00-11:30 & 14:00-15:30 and 2-3 Nov, 10:00-11:30, R30pp
- The Kraal Restaurant Joostenberg Wine Estate Hoopenburg Rd, Muldersvlei
WS Botanical Gelli Plate Monoprint Workshop, with Marianne Burger (incl lunch), 4 Nov, 09:30-15:00, R750pp