Stellenbosch winemakers continued their good run with the announcement of the 2023 FNB Sauvignon Blanc SA Top 10 at Kleine Zalze in Stellenbosch, with Wolfgang Riebe as magical master of ceremonies.
Guests were challenged to solve a Sixth Sense of Sauvignon Blanc Mystery in the Winelands, to figure out the winning wines from 20 finalists by tasting, feeling, listening, smelling and observing – from seashells and soil to ballet and a box of matches!
South Africa’s top Sauvignon Blancs are about much more than meets the eye. Wine lovers should take a second look and taste of Sauvignon Blanc from older vintages, as well as wooded styles, according to the judging panel of the 2023 FNB Sauvignon Blanc SA Top 10. No less than seven of the winners are from the 2022 vintage, which again confirms the excellent aging potential of South African Sauvignon Blanc.
This year’s Top 10 (in alphabetical order) are:
- De Grendel Koetshuis 2022 (wooded)
- Diemersdal Sauvignon Blanc Reserve 2023 (unwooded)
- Kleine Zalze Family Reserve Sauvignon Blanc 2022 (wooded)
- Le Grand Domaine Our Origin The Pledge Sauvignon Blanc 2022 (unwooded)
- Nitida Sauvignon Blanc 2023 (unwooded)
- Spier Seaward Sauvignon Blanc 2023 (unwooded)
- Stark-Condé Round Mountain Sauvignon Blanc 2022 (wooded)
- Steenberg The Black Swan 2022 (unwooded)
- Tokara Reserve Collection Elgin Sauvignon Blanc 2022 (wooded)
- Zorgvliet Single Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc 2022 (unwooded)