Eat Out has released its list of top ten restaurants in South Africa, and the Winelands has made a strong showing with four eateries making the cut.
In a year that has seen local wineries achieve thrilling heights, it is encouraging to see no slack coming from the dining sector in terms of excellence.
The 2018 Eat Out Restaurant Awards certainly bears testament to this, where Stellenbosch Wine Routes member, Waterkloof Estate, clinched the number one position for its Restaurant in the Sky after a six year stint by Cape Town’s The Test Kitchen.
Other members that styled amongst the Top 20 culinary bucket list included George Jardine with his Jardine Restaurant in Stellenbosch claiming the 9th spot and his restaurant at Jordan Estate just missing the Top 10 mark in 11th position. Overture Restaurant was awarded the 18th position. Franschhoek’s La Petite Colombe taking 5th place and Camphors at Vergelegen from Somerset West in 8th rounds out an impressive showing by the region.
“It is humbling to see our chefs and winemakers adding significant and ongoing substance to the Stellenbosch reputation as food and wine capital of South Africa,” says Stellenbosch Wine Routes chairman Mike Ratcliffe.
The top 10 restaurants in South Africa are:
1. The Restaurant at Waterkloof (Somerset West)
2. The Test Kitchen (Woodstock, Cape Town)
3. La Colombe (Constantia, Cape Town)
4. Wolfgat (Paternoster, West Coast)
5. La Petite Colombe (Franschhoek)
6. Greenhouse at Cellars-Hohenort (Constantia, Cape Town)
7. Restaurant Mosaic at The Orient (Elandsfontein, Pretoria)
8. Camphors at Vergelegen (Somerset West)
9. Jardine Restaurant (Stellenbosch)
10. Chefs Warehouse at Beau Constantia (Constantia, Cape Town)