There is a place in the Himalayas one could call the source of human inspiration. If you are ready to consider the bigger questions of life – who am I, how do I relate to others and what is the purpose of life, then this may be the place for you. But beware of spiritual vertigo, contemplating our existence and how to discover a life meaning is not for the feint-hearted.
Streetschool journeys combine spiritual retreat with a mindfulness audit. These 11-day journeys take place in Dharamsala, India, a small hilltop village at the foothills of the Himalayas and home of His Holiness (HH) the Dalai Lama and the Tibetan exile community.
The close relationships StreetSchool has forged with the Tibetan community over the past 6 years, opens the doors to experiences not accessible to the ordinary traveller. You will enjoy unparalleled opportunities to meet with Lamas, spiritual teachers, philosophers and Tibetan monks who will welcome you into their inner sanctums to explore all aspects of mindfulness and how to build a happy meaningful life. The journey is essentially a spiritual audit and includes:
- Sessions with senior Tibetan monks discussing themes such as happiness, the meaning of life, clarity, future vision, letting go, and cultivating a peaceful mind.
- Learning about the Tibetan approach to meditation, yoga and their view on chi (internal channels of energy).
- Meeting hermit monks who have been living in isolation for years (very rare experience).
- Tea at a nunnery with 230 nuns and conversations with some of them.
- Visiting the Tibetan Institute of Medicine and Astrology, with an opportunity to see a Tibetan Healer, Doctor and Astrologer.
- Enjoying Tibetan healing massages.
- Meditation sessions at a Buddhist retreat in the forests above Dharamsala.
- Shopping for special memento’s in the quaint Tibetan village markets.
- Time for yourself (you can choose which activities to join).
- Visit the Golden Temple in Amritsar and Taj Mahal in Agra.
- Three great meals every day (the Indian and Tibetan food is wonderful)
Throughout the journey there will also be ample time for you to reflect on your own agenda and the intent is to come away from this journey spiritually refreshed and energized, with a new level of personal wisdom. The journey has been registered with the SA Board of People Practices and participants will qualify for 60 CPD points.
Taking time out to experience an amazing, active spiritual retreat could well be the most valuable gift you can give yourself. Immerse yourself in conversations with Tibetan monks, meditate at a mountain retreat, learn about Tibetan Yoga, consult with a Tibetan doctor or astrologer, and spend quality time refreshing your spirit in the friendly hilltop village of Dharamsala, home of HH the Dalai Lama. And also enjoy some private time with opportunities to explore and shop in the quaint village markets.
In the past 6 years Streetschool have facilitated 26 groups to both Dharamsala in North India and Everest Base Camp in Nepal to achieve exactly this – a spiritual audit in a most inspiring environment.
HH the Dalai Lama and about 90 000 Tibetans had to evacuate Tibet in 1959 due to Chinese occupation; Dharamsala is the place where they have been living peacefully and campaigning for a Free Tibet. We coordinate this trip directly through the Office of Tibet, which assists us in connecting with some very special people.
What differentiates this journey from any other is essentially two things: you will get the chance to interact with lamas, monks and Tibetans which normal travellers would not be able to and there is also personal coaching which forms an integral part of the whole program. There are groups sessions before, during and after the journey – this is a personal development journey where life coaching in naturally built into the program and is designed to manifest positive internal development, enhance personal creativity, energy and sense of purpose in life.
To find out more about these life-changing journeys, visit http://streetschool.co.za/mindfulness-retreats/